Hei, Helsingissä!

That translates to “Hello, Helsinki”, not that I’d be able to pronounce any of it.

In just under 24 hours we should be landing in Finland, beginning a nearly two week adventure. We’ll stay the first 3 days with friends of Randy rigth in the heart of Helsinki, then we’ll take a ferry to Tallinn, Estonia, for two days of exploration. I found a small hotel right in the heart of the fortified Old Town.

After Estonia,  we’ll head to Ghent, Belgium, where we’ll spend 2 days exploring Gravensteen Castle, various churches, and numerous canals. Then we’ll spend a day in Bruges (or an afternoon/evening – I hear Bruges is rather small) before going to Ostend – a town on the Belgium coast, facing the North Sea. Randy will be attending a conference midweek so I’ll go off on my own and explore the area (or return to nearby Bruges) furing the day.

Finally, on Tuesday afternoon I’ll take the high speed train to Paris and hang out with my friend, Mark (who has already set up a card game night for me).

Of course, I read in the Boston Globe today that the French rail drivers union is planning a strike on the day I’m supposed to fly back to Boston. Getting from downtown to the very distant airport seems like it’s going to be a bit of a problem. ugh. Thanks, union! And all because they want to raise the retirement age from 60 (yes, 60) to 62.

It’s funny, when I booked my flights back in June, my concern was that the Iceland volcano would potentially botch our travel plans. I guess it had to be something.

Anyway, Randy and I packed last night and I managed to fit everything into my carry-on suitcase (in fact, it’s not even over-stuffed). This should make traveling much easier…and cheaper (no luggage fees!).

So, I’m not sure what my internet access will be during this trip so I’m not promising anything in terms of this blog. Though, you never know. Most likely I’ll post even more frequently with just quick texts and photos of various things.

I’m unpredictable like that.

1 Comment(s)

1. Comment by J.P. on September 10, 2010 9:08 pm

Helsinki has the wonderful fast food chain of Carrols, which was born in my hometown of Syracuse, N.Y. Enjoy a club burger for me.