Is There a Lemon Law for iPods?

For Christmas, I gave Randy an iTouch. He then sold my parents his year-or-so old 30g iPod for a fair price. Now, the reason Randy upgraded to the iTouch was not because there were issues with the iPod…he did it because, like most men, he needs the newest and latest techno-gadget. At the time, that would have been the iTouch (I’m sure by his birthday in August he’ll be upgrading yet again).

Anyway, the iPod functioned fine. He used it at the gym at least 2-3 times per week plus whenever we traveled and it never failed him.

Well, my parents owned the iPod for only a few weeks when they started complaining that the battery seemed to die quickly. I told them that I’m sure it was just them not shutting it off properly and leaving it running all the time by accident. I mean, they’re the kind of people who still couldn’t manage to set recordings on the VCR by the time VCR’s became obsolete. I must admit, I’m not much better…but that’s beside the point.

So Randy and I went down to visit a month or so ago and checked out the iPod. Lo and behold, my parents were right. For some reason, they’ll leave it in the charger overnight but when they wake up and disconnect the iPod from the charger, it will go from full power to empty within 30 seconds.

What happened to cause this issue is beyond me. But Randy knew the solution: he purchased a new battery. Last weekend when I was down there I brought the iPod back with me. I was home for all of 10 minutes when Randy had already opened up the iPod and replaced the battery. We tested it out over the next two days and it seemed to hold the charge.

Now it’s in the mail and on its way back to its rightful owners (who apparently use the iPod much more than I ever thought they would).

The funny thing was while I was down there last weekend, my mom mentioned that my father has always refused to buy a used car (or appliance…anything) because he felt he’d just inheriting the previous owners problems (with no warranty). D’oh! Well, hopefully Randy’s customer service proved them wrong. I mean, they may be getting a used iTouch in August.

1 Comment(s)

1. Comment by Keith on April 2, 2009 9:52 am

I’ve heard/found that leaving iPods plugged in overnight/continuously KILLS the battery. Only plug them in when the charge is gone, or low, and then only for a few hours.

My latest one following the above advice is going strong for two years now. My previous ones, where I would leave them plugged in, can’t hold a charge for more than 45 minutes.