Not Connected, or Low Connectivity

That’s how I felt this morning as my work computer kept screaming at me (well, in bold font, at least) that my desktop was not connecting with the Harvard network. It took about 40 minutes but they finally determined that the data port (in the wall) died. So they plugged me into another one (for now). Let’s hope this one lasts a while.

But this 40 minutes with no connection to the outside world was scary! Seriously – withdrawal symptoms kick in immediately. I like knowing I’m just a click away from the world.

Randy and I have been toying with the idea of going to Peru for Christmas break. I’ve been looking into it and this third-world country would be the farthest of been from “civilization” than I’d ever been (talk about disconnected!). One goal would be to visit Machu Picchu.

To get there you have to fly 1.5 hours from Lima to Cusco. Then stay 24 hours to acclimate to the 13,000 feet elevation. Then the next morning you take a 4 hour train ride up to Aguas Calientes (based on the photos, these trains utilize the most modern technology available…

…for 1952.

From there, you spend the night in a hostel (there appears to be only one traditional hotel…at $695/night). None of the hostel/hotels have websites since they’re so small/remote…but the descriptions in travel tour guides brag about the following amazing amenities:

1. many with private bathrooms
  2. twin beds
  3. 24 running hot water
  4. candles in case of power failure

I’m sorry – but if you have to advertise that a basic amenitiy like hot water is an “option”…that scares me. I’m not so sure I’m up for such adventure travel. I mean, it looks gorgeous, but it’ll take 2 days to get there (between flying, acclimating, taking a train, then takin the bus to the drop off, and hiking a bit from there). I’m impatient….maybe I should wait until they build an international airport, and subsequent resorts, next to it.

1. Comment by Will on September 12, 2008 10:54 am

Machu Picchu has always been one of my dreams. If you decide not to go, could I go with Randy? You could stay here with Fritz, the wood stove, the heated floor, the sauna, and the heated toilet seat in the bathroom!

Oh, and we keep candles handy in case of power failures.

2. Comment by Fred on September 12, 2008 11:58 am

Seriously, Karl – you should do the roughing-it this once…it’s supposed to be amazing, and will never get any easier unless they introduce luxury airships… I think they purposely keep it that way to cut down on (damaging) tourism…kinda like why there’s that 13 mile stretch of Rte. 6 as only one lane each way…it’s necessary. I think I’ve also heard rumors that they may choke down tourism even more in future – so see it while you can!!!

3. Comment by jeff on September 12, 2008 3:58 pm

Candles for power outages? That’s a great idea, i just use them for ambiance, and to cover up the fact the dishes in the sink are stinky.