When Tragedy Strikes

Our friend, Roy, arrived the night before last and is staying with us until next Thursday. With yesterday being his first full day here he laid low and just explored Cambridge/Somerville. Last night Randy and I brought him to the ICA (Institute of Contemporary Art) and then walked along the Waterfront and through Quincy Market to get to Beacon Hill, where the restaurant was located.

I’d eaten there before, years ago. Under previous ownership, the space was an affordable little Italian restaurant called il Bocaccino. When I lived down the street we’d go there quite often. Toward the end, they tried to fancy the place up and raised the prices. They also updated their menu and removed my favorite items. Consequently, I stoppped going.

Apparently, I wasn’t alone in my boycott because they soon went out of business. It was replaced by Pierrot Bistrot Francais. I went once many years ago to sample French food before my first trip to Paris. Last night I returned (with Randy and Roy) because it’s Restaurant Week and their menu appealed to me.

I started off with a yummy salad with warm goat cheese (and a delicious oil dressing). My dinner was a pork loin in a red currant sauce (which appeared to be the hit of our table as everybody kept trying it).  For dessert, I kept it simple with creme brulee, though i was equally impressed with Randy’s chocolate mousse and Roy’s dark chocolate tart.  All in all, it was a great night…

…until we go home. Roy received a phone call from his brother-in-law back in San Diego because his 40-something sister suddenly collapsed while teaching. It appears that it was a brain aneurysm. It happened at 2PM their time (5PM for us). When they spoke on the phone at 10PM she was still alive.

Unfortunately, a phone call came around 2AM (our time) announcing that she’d died.

Poor Roy. His first trip east in over 3 years and then this happens….a day after he arrives in perhaps the farthest major US city that he could be possibly be in. I lost a cousin to a brain aneurysm myself a few years ago. It’s so difficult because it’s one of those things nobody sees coming. There was no prior suffering. There were not hints, no warnings given by doctors. In my cousin’s case, she had a lovely dinner with friends and stepped out onto the porch to enjoy the beautiful September evening. She collapsed and was confirmed dead just hours later.

I can definitely feel for Roy. I’ve dealt with a great deal of loss since the 90’s (my one remaining grandfather, four aunts, four uncles, two cousins, a 3 year old niece, and a VERY close friend). It’s difficult and makes no sense. I just want him to know that I feel for him and, as much as anybody can, I know where he’s coming from.

1. Comment by Will on August 23, 2008 6:58 pm

When you’re next in touch with Roy, please tell him that people he doesn’t even know send their best. I lost both parents and my step mother to catastrophic heart attacks, suddenly in most cases and with little if any warning. It’s a huge emotional blow.

2. Comment by thleen on August 25, 2008 10:58 am

My condolences to Roy . Fortunately he was with friends when he got the news.

3. Comment by jeff on August 25, 2008 3:32 pm

Having been lucky not to loose anyone very close to me, I can only imagine the pain and hurt he must feel right now. My heart goes out to him.