Size Queen

I never used to be one, but since I met my friend, Chris, I think I’m becoming one.

You see, up until about two years ago, I just bought all of my clothes in a size large (occsaionaly extra large). Granted, I used to weigh nearly 200 pounds, but even then I didn’t warrant any label proclaiming “L” or “XL”.

Yet that’s all I would buy. I think I felt comfortable concealing as much of my body as possible in over-sized (yet comfy) garb. Well, when I met Chris, I was weiging in at about 170 pounds and he pointed out that I’m a far cry from a large. In fact, I was most likely a medium (in European brands) and possibly even a small (in American brands…cuz we’re a fat people).

Over the years I’ve tried following his guidance and, to some extent, have been successful in developing a new, more fitted, wardrobe. When he and I go shopping in Soho, he even enjoys having me try on things for HIS sake. Apparently, he says I’ve got the body type that designers design for (he’s a designer himself).

Well, I’m here today to disagree.

I went to the Gap yesterday to try and solve my conundrum regarding what to pack to Washington, DC – where the weather will go from the dry 60’s to torrential rains to the 30’s all in the course of 48 hours. FUN!

I had the worst time finding clothes that fit. I think designers expect that all men grow in even number increments. It’s hard enough finding waist sizes of 33….so many brands only have 32 inch or 34 inch waists…but I don’t think that ANY designer makes lengths of 31 inches. I could only find 32 lengths (which were too long) and 30 lengths (which make me feel like I’m anticipating the next flood).

Frustrated, I bought the 32X30 pants…I just won’t put them in the dryer.

I then went into the shirt selection. The medium was a bit loose around the middle and a bit too long. The small fit nicely around the mid-section, but the arms were too short. I settled on the medium and will just tuck in the shirt (or “synch it”, since it’s from the Gap and all).

Anyway, the obvious observation from this shopping experience is that I’m not shaped normally. Oh, I can hide it okay, but based on my strangely-dimensioned legs and long arms, I think I may be a bit closer to my ape ancestors than most of my peers.

1. Comment by Lise on January 13, 2006 10:48 am

I’m sure you’ve heard Brad’s tale of the holy grail of jeans size that he can never find – they make every possible combo around it but not IT. Maybe you should ask our new friend John where he gets his “precisely” fitted clothes.

2. Comment by chrispy on January 13, 2006 11:51 am

GEEZ i didnt expect that your head would EXPLODE from the information ive given you. HMMM. its rather like an episode of What Not to Wear innit? ….

3. Comment by karyn on January 13, 2006 11:53 am

Or, the other obvious choice – – clothes are made by the numbers, in cookie cutter fashion (unless you’re sitting on some couture you’re not telling us about), whereas people are not. The stylists suggest you buy jeans an inch longer or looser and have them taken in to your specs but most people I know just can’t be bothered, particularly given the too-often astronomical cost of clothes.
    But if it makes you feel better, we can go with your ape theory.

4. Comment by chrispy on January 13, 2006 11:58 am

in your defense, you do have almost ideal proportions to what many designers look for in a ‘fit model’ ie the guy whose measurements the designer takes in order to fit clothing properly. its not *your* fault the clothes dont fit, these mass-produced clothing companies have to fit EVERY IMAGINABLE size and shape of person.

the hunt continues!

5. Comment by Veselka Slut on January 13, 2006 12:11 pm

For extra nice clothes I’d suggest getting them tailored or made to order, (not as expensive as it sounds), really makes a big difference. To commiserate, I’m a 33/32 pant size, so I don’t have too much trouble there, but there are some shirts I just can’t wear, period. Prada, for example, never fits, (my shoulders are too wide, the shirts seem to be made for kate moss twinks). Donna Karan stuff fits really well, as do Perry Ellis and some other brands, gap shirts don’t fit me that well, same issue as Prada. I found lots of stuff in Montreal that fit me, maybe they make clothes up there that fit us gorrillas.

6. Comment by Brad on January 13, 2006 12:42 pm

All I’ll say is . . . I hear ya!

7. Comment by Will on January 13, 2006 12:52 pm

I’m far from the standard sizing model as well. I’m long-waisted, have “soccer legs,” and wide hips for a man. Trousers are always a problem.
    I frequently have to buy with far longer legs than I want and then completely refinish the cuffs. Fortunately my days running a costume shop gave me the necesary skills.

8. Comment by Doug on January 13, 2006 1:02 pm

My frustration comes from the varying lengths that you will find within pants length. I have some Polo jeans where the 32 is longer than or shorter than the actual 32 length. It all depends on the style of the jean. I just HATE having to try each pair of jeans on to figure out which length to buy.

9. Comment by matt on January 13, 2006 2:22 pm

Continue to listen to Chris! …I’ve never known you to worry so about “what to wear” …wait. Are you gay?

My problem has been finding waist size 29 with a 32 inseam. 29’s all seem to come wtih 30 inseam which is too short. So, I wear 30’s with my belt cinching them in so that they fit. But, it is MUCH easier finding shirts in small!

10. Comment by chrispy on January 13, 2006 2:44 pm

OMG! PLEASE (this goes for doug too) try on *every* piece of clothing youre going to buy! espcially jeans and pants! these days, there is just no sure-fire way to know if something is going to fit well or not. there are so many new denim companies (as well as the established brands)in the world today, and within these brands they offer a myriad of ‘fits’: low rise, regular rise, boot cut, slim fit, cowboy cut, loose fit, anti-fit, torqued, the list is endless. the good thing is that there is a very democratic pricing range for jeans, in that you may not have to shell out $300 for the perfect jeans. brands like levis and lee and wrangler have an extraordinary range of fits and washes/finishes and even denim weaves that you can get a great pair of jeans for less than 50 bucks. you will have to be extremely patient, as it may take weeks of trying on jeans to find a pair that works for you (ie the most common reason for buying a pair of jeans is “it makes my butt look really good”. this sentiment is true for both men and women alike). and *WHEN* you do find that perfect pair, buy 2 or 3 pairs: one to wear and wear, one to save, and one in a different wash or color, just to spice up the wardrobe.

11. Comment by Veselka Slut on January 13, 2006 2:45 pm

I hate cinching pants with the belt. I lost a lot weight and not only did doing that give me that odd look at the top but it didn’t show off my ass well at all, which is, of course, the only reason I bother to put pants on in the first place.

12. Comment by Karl on January 13, 2006 2:48 pm

Veselka Slut….

don’t feel obligated to wear pants on my account.

13. Comment by Veselka Slut on January 13, 2006 2:54 pm

Why Karl I do believe you’re flirting with me!

14. Comment by Dave in Chicago (2) on January 13, 2006 8:27 pm

And I really don’t want to hear complaints about pants with a 29″ waist! ;-P