…Prospero Ano y Felizidad

It’s the new year…and after the year I just had, I rang it in the best way I knew how.

Asleep

Yep, during the day yesterday I hung out with Mike and some of his friends – walking around the North End and sitting in Cafe Vittorio for a few hours snarfing canolli and cappucino. That night, I got together with Heath (my friend, not the actor) to see Brokeback Mountain.

I really liked it. And that’s unusual for me since whenever a film is a critical favorite or popular with the masses I hate it (such as E.T., Star Wars, Pulp Fiction, and even Ang Lee’s previous film, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon). But I really liked the movie. However, I’m apparently the most cold-hearted person on earth as nearly everybody I know who has seen it has said they choked up or cried. I didn’t even come close.

Still, I keep hearing rave reviews for Heath Ledger’s performance and none for Jake Gyllenhall. I thought they both did an equally good job. I know Heath’s (the actor, not my friend) character was “deeper”..but both performances were good. Poor Jake. First he dies, then he gets snubbed.

OOPS – did I just give something away?

Oh, one last Brokeback Mountain comment…did anybody else think Heath Ledger looked just like G.W. Bush with his eyes all squinty the whole time? Even the scraggly hair in Ennis’ later years was like G.W.

So after the movie, Heath (my friend, not the actor) and I walked through the masses in downtown Boston as hordes of families and drunken youths wandered about in the snow. We were going to grab something to eat, but the crowds were too much. He went back to his place and I went back to mine.

I read a few emails, browsed a few sites, and went to bed…at 11:45PM. Yep, I didn’t even wait for the ball to drop. Didn’t even stay up to watch Boston’s fireworks (and my white noise machine drowned out the sound). Didn’t even stay up to get kissed at the stroke of midnight. Though, seeing as I was in bed by myself, that wasn’t likely to happen anyway.

Now, as is fitting for my final day of the year, one other thing happened. My sister-in-law was sent back to the hospital in Boston. More complications with her digestive system and feeding tubes. Ugh. That’s how I’m going to be spending the afternoon on the first day of the NEW year…in a hospital. So much for things changing for the better in the upcoming year!

1. Comment by matt on January 1, 2006 2:48 pm

I saw King Kong yesterday! Neat special effects — odd uncut penis-like monsters biting the heads off of hot sailer men! But, I would have cut at least 90 minutes of it. I mean, over 3 hours for giant monkey.
    I can’t believe you missed the ball drop and fireworks! Are you still sick?

So sorry to hear about H. Hang in there.

2. Comment by atari_age on January 1, 2006 11:13 pm

Sorry things are rough. New Years eve doesn’t mean crap, really. I probably passed by you in the downtown throngs. I wasn’t the drunk one, though. Not at that time anyway.

3. Comment by Alan on January 2, 2006 12:22 am

Tout le monde ont besoin d’etre embrasser.

4. Comment by David on January 2, 2006 11:55 am

Karl!!
    Me too. Fell asleep at 1140 or so. We were going to turn on the tv, but didn’t feel like watching Ryan Seacrest and Dick Clark.
    We did hang up our new calendars though. Miss Richfield 2006 and the new calendar from MA artist, Michael Breyette. See studio1088.com

We saw Brokeback and I didn’t cry either. It was definately emotional but no tears. and yes you should have a spoiler alert. You did give it away.
    xo

5. Comment by Karl on January 2, 2006 12:41 pm

Hey, David.

You fell asleep last year just before the stroke of midnight, too! I know cuz I was there! It was Chad and me who rang in the new year together!

Anyway, happy new year!

6. Comment by Spencer on January 2, 2006 9:24 pm

GASP!! EVIL MOVIE SPOILER!! BAD BAD BAD SNARL!
    Remind me never to read your criticisms in the future.

7. Comment by Spencer on January 2, 2006 9:26 pm

That was almost as evil as QUOTING THE LAST LINE of a novel… OMG. I wade through hundreds of pages–just to arrive at that last paragraph, and last line… Fresh. Unmolested. In order. I can’t believe you revealed that without a warning. SO WRONG.

8. Comment by Spencer on January 3, 2006 12:13 am

oh well, unlike a novel, i wasn’t invested in it. And now i don’t have to bother seeing it, so i’ll save some money. “GuyDads” had some interesting comments on the film– (http://guydads.blogspot.com/)–each previously married (to females), now married to each other, and raising a family!–their reflections are fascinating. 🙂

9. Comment by JC on January 3, 2006 12:40 pm

I didn’t come close to crying either. I just wasn’t feeling it. Sorry to hear about your sister-in-law. It seems you just can’t get a break…I hope everything turns out well, sweetie.

10. Comment by mindy on January 3, 2006 12:50 pm

I cried, but I was full of Law School Holiday Party Champagne and my defenses were down.

11. Comment by mindy on January 3, 2006 12:50 pm

12. Comment by Brad on January 4, 2006 12:56 pm

Actually, it has spoiled it somewhat to hear the ending . . . oh well . . . it happens . . . actually, I’ve been blessed to get this far without people talking about the movie very much . . . but right now, I am SO overloaded with people telling me I HAVE to see it, it makes me never want to see it — EVER! So who knows . . .

13. Comment by Brad on January 4, 2006 12:57 pm

. . . but I guess if I don’t see it, that will either make me a traitor to my race or a mutant . . . so who knows . . . but now that I know the ending . . . what’s the use.