Inspector Gadget

So yesterday was the home inspection on the new townhouse. Since Randy was still in Virginia (the memorial took place at the same time as the inspection) I went alone.

The inspector was incredibly thorough compared to previous inspections I’ve had. However, the guy was hilarious.  He came straight out of the 1950’s with the salesman’s manner of speaking (despite having nothing to sell). He had frequent antecdotes from previous inspections that you can tell he’s told verbatim time and time again for comedic affect. He was also a bit of a chauvenist. For example, he thought I was straight and when discussing shower drains, would ask if my “little lady” had long hair that could clog the drain. Then he’d provide instructions on how to prevent it.

And when it came time to test the front-loading washing machine, he didn’t shut the door fully so it wouldn’t run. After realizing his error, he said to the female broker “I probably should have had you do it…you would know how it works.”

Offensive? Yes. Hilarious? In a clueless sort of way, yes.

Anyway, the report isn’t in yet, but there didn’t seem to be any major issues aside from having the HVAC contractor do a thorough cleaning of the system (and replace the filters) and to check out the hot water heater cap that may have been installed improperly.

The inspection on Randy’s current condo takes place on Friday.

Otherwise, last night I got together with Deano and Chris for Scrabble. I played alone with Deano for the first game and won. Then, as always when it comes to games of three or more, I came in last place the second time (Chris won). Oh well…there’s always next week. Or Facebook Scrabble.

1. Comment by Zach on August 13, 2009 10:54 am

I never thought a home inspection could be so fun.

2. Comment by Carolyn on August 18, 2009 4:06 pm

Hilarious! Love that part about the hair in the drain.. my husband could use some of the “Prevention” tips.. He’s always complaining! Plus he’s out numbered … with all us girls. there is no hope 🙂

3. Comment by Melody on August 25, 2009 10:28 am

Hey, are you on another one of your vacations? Where have you been, I’m having withdrawls. What’s going on with the condo? 🙂