A Quick Escape

Our trip to Provincetown this weekend was a blast. It was mostly a spur-of-the-moment thing: we decided on Wednesday to go to Ptown that same weekend. The July 4th week is also one of the Cape’s busiest tourist weeks so I doubted we’d find an available room…but we did! For two nights at the Watership Inn!

I must admit I had reservations (no pun intended) since the room we booked was dirt cheap: $86/night in the heart of town during peak season. It had a shared bath and no air-conditioning so my expectations were low. In fact, the room isn’t even advertised on their website…it’s typically used to house the summer staff. However, the property was quite nice (well landscaped, well tended).

Yeah, the room was extremely simple…but it had cable TV and enough space to walk around. We brought a box fan and it kept the air circulating quite nicely. Besides, we spent very little time in the room.

On Saturday, we checked in and headed immediately to Herring Cove Beach. We met up with some friends, Zach and Jeff, and returned to the room in the early evening. After the four of us had dinner at the Thai Restaurant in the Gifford House (I always forget the name), Randy and I went to see Miss Richfield 1981 perform. I found it hilarious…I think Randy agreed.

After the show, we walked around and people watched. And people enjoyed watching Randy, too, as it was the beginning of Bear Week in Ptown and Randy does have that bearish charm about him. We also poked into Wave Bar and Paramount before heading towards Spiritus just before 1AM to watch the “street party”.

On Sunday, we mingled with the other Watership Inn guests over the complimentary breakfast and then headed back to the beach for 4 or 5 hours. There were some (heavy) showers that evening, but we popped into a restaurant for dinner and avoided them completely. After dinner (and on Monday) we walked around town enjoying the shops and people watching.

All in all, it was a great and inexpensive escape. Photos can be seen in my Photo Gallery (see link to the right).

No Comments