Regrets? I’ve Had a Few

I think I need to retract my American Airlines rant from Monday. After my tirade on here, I wrote them an email stating the same thing (that the price jumped within minutes, I bought my ticket, then Randy got the identical ticket for $150 less…yet they wouldn’t change the price of mine).

A few days later I got an email back from them saying they are giving me a voucher for the difference in price that I paid. WOO HOO! So basically, I got the fare that I’d originally planned. And I’ll use the $150 voucher toward my trip to San Francisco a month later. So, I suppose my profanity-laden blog heading was a bit unfair. I regret it now.

And speaking of regrets, that’s my theme for today’s blog (hence the blog title and Frank Sinatra reference). So, here are some photos of some looks I regret over the years. Please keep the laughing to a minimum.

1983 – In my defense, this was actually my costume for the school play, “Alice in Oz.” It’s still tragic all the same.

830500 Karl 6th grade play 109 West Bay Road Osterville.JPG

1984 – How could my parents not have known I was gay? I’m rather relieved this instamatic photo came out so blurry.

840000 Karl 109 West Bay Road Osterville 04.JPG

1985 – Barnstable High School. Does my belt buckle really have a big “K” (for Karl) on it? Oy vey.

851122 Karl Rose Kathy Valerie Barnstable High Library.JPG

1986 – If you’re in Florida and want to stay cool, why pull your socks up so high?

860226 Karl Margate FL 01.JPG

1987 – Sporting a nice tan after 3 weeks in Florida – but why am I eating dog biscuits?

870300 Karl 109 West Bay Road Osterville MA 02.JPG

1988 – Come on…didn’t we all sport the Ferris Bueller look back then?

880216 Karl on East Bay Road at Dowses Beach 02.JPG

1989 – Don’t ask, don’t tell. What’s worse: the crystal around my neck or the wallpaper?

891231 Missy Karl 109 West Bay Road Osterville 03.JPG

1990 – Oh dear. Pegged jeans? Please make it stop.

900414 Jeff Karl South Portland ME.JPG

1. Comment by Lise on March 23, 2007 9:55 am

These pictures are (mostly – not the dog biscuit one) adorable! I love the Alice outfit, it’s really cute! And the Ferris one – because it’s so serious arty. And the bunny…..these are hardly ones to regret.

2. Comment by Mark on March 23, 2007 10:27 am

I think you need to find the belt with the big “K” on it again, then turn it into some form of necklace for some extra Karl bling! 😉

3. Comment by Golden on March 23, 2007 12:41 pm

Alice in Oz! Bwah! I was a playing card- the 7 of diamonds…because that was all I could draw. Diamonds.

Thanks for the walk down memory lane! I should go through my albums. I know I have a few more of you.

4. Comment by Randy on March 23, 2007 2:49 pm

Not that I have any room to talk but hell those ferris pants.. they have pleats. They look as bad then as they do now!

5. Comment by J.P. on March 23, 2007 4:11 pm

At least the “K” doesn’t stand for K-mart! 🙂

6. Comment by Will on March 23, 2007 11:11 pm

Before I read the caption on the “Alice” picture, I thought, “h, it’s the Little Dutch Boy!”

I regret nothing in terms of former fashions. During the 60s and 70s I had me some MAJOR hair, on both my head and my face. Standards of taste and beauty change with regularity. If we hadn’t gone with the fashions of the time, we would have been ridiculed THEN instead of looking back and ridiculing ourselves NOW. You can’t win for losing, I guess

7. Comment by karyn on March 23, 2007 11:51 pm

I am trying so hard…so hard. To be gentle.

I love the Ferris picture; but then, I’m a closet Ferris-phile.

And – Alice in Oz? I was almost Alice! It was me or the other girl; guess who got it… that’s all right. I think you look awfully sweet in that picture; but what the hell were you playing?

Mwah.

8. Comment by karyn on March 23, 2007 11:51 pm

Oh, and ps, the crystal is far worse than the wallpaper.

And well done you on the airfare! Good job!

9. Comment by Karl on March 24, 2007 11:31 am

I played Doubt in the play…I think there was “Tweedle”, “Dee” and “Doubt.” Miraculously, I had a solo. EEK!

It’s funny, Randy had a mini-party on Friday night and one of the guests brought up my blog…and my recent walks down memory lane via photos. I think it’s kinda’ fun that this is striking up conversation with people (and pulling old friends out of the woodwork – like Golden).