My Luggage Attacked Me

I was retracting the handle to my roller-luggage and my pinky-finger got caught in something. Fortunately, I quickly looked at my finger and saw that i hadn’t broken the skin. Phew!

But then I noticed the underside of my flesh filling up with blood (which appears more brown under the skin). Now I’ve got this nasty blood blister. Let’s see, when I went to Europe last summer I was getting over that bizarre rash so the skin on my hands was shedding the whole time. Now I’m off to Asia with a nasty brown pinky.

I think I should wear protective gloves the week before any vacations from now on.

Anyway, at this time tomorrow I should be in Chicago (actually, O’Hare Airport) during the lay-over before finishing the journey to Tokyo. Luckily, Randy is a premiere American Airlines member so we’ll have access to the special lounge reserved for high-falootin’ freaking travellers during that nearly 3 hour wait.

Thirteen and a half hours after that (ugh) I’ll be descending into Narita Airport outside Tokyo. And four to five hours after that I’ll be arriving via bullet train (170 miles per hour) in Kyoto.

…and less than three seconds after that I’ll be asleep – dead to the world. I suspect that I won’t start enjoying Japan until at least Monday. Late Monday.

I don’t think I’ll have internet access for the first few days there. But I should be able to start blogging on Wednesday when I reunite wtih Randy and have the opportunity to download some photos from my camera.

Sayonara! 

1. Comment by Lise on December 1, 2006 10:56 am

Have a great time – do a Lost in Translation. I think perhaps you need an entire plastic bubble around you….just to be on the safe side. At least Japan will be very neat & clean & orderly. Does this make you a jetsetter?

2. Comment by Will on December 1, 2006 12:29 pm

Bon voyage, Karl! You deserve to faloot highly. Have a wonderful time and when you get back, let’s get together for lunch or maybe have you and Randy down to the house for dinner–it’s been too long and I’m a real sucker for the travel photos and stories of friends.

ENJOY!

3. Comment by The Persian on December 1, 2006 12:42 pm

Blood blisters are the worst!

Have a wonderful trip buddy!

*hugs*

4. Comment by Dave in Chicago (2) on December 1, 2006 1:12 pm

Please, please, PLEASE tell me you didn’t break a nail!

And, um, don’t be surprised if there are still delays here in Chicago tomorrow. The place is a mess…lots of snow and still coming down.

Don’t worry about blogging during the trip, just enjoy! We’ll hear the (hopefully lurid) details on your retour.

5. Comment by karyn on December 1, 2006 2:32 pm

Have fun, be safe, blog often, take photos. xo

6. Comment by Jessie on December 4, 2006 11:05 am

I hope you have a wonderful time Karl! Can’t wait to see some photos and hear about your adventures…

7. Comment by Brad on December 4, 2006 4:50 pm

Have a very very very very very very very good time. Can’t wait to hear about it when you return.