Happy Mondays

MMM – I did love their (The Happy Mondays) early 1990’s album “Pills ‘n Thrills and Belly Aches”. I find “Bob’s Yer Uncle” to be one of the most sexy songs of all time (despite having no clue what it’s about…the song just sounds sensual to me). It’s right up there with ” Angel” (by Massive Attack), “I Feel Love” (by Donna Summer), “Summertime” (as performed by Janis Joplin) and “Closer” (by Nine Inch Nails).

But that’s completely unrelated to this blog posting. Actually, nothing is really related to it. So I’ll just continue.

I got together with my friend, Tony, on Friday night for dinner and a DVD. He made some yummy Italian food (home made sauce, home made dressing, al dente pasta, bread) and then we watched Wedding Crashers on DVD. Pretty funny stuff.

On Saturday I finally got around to doing two weeks worth of laundry. Then I got together with Mike that night to celebrate his 34th birthday. I got to meet even more of his friends as we headed out to Ashmont Grille for dinner. It started as 7 people, then one person was added..and by the time we sat down there were actually 10 people. After dinner, we all went to dbar (gay bar in Dorchester). A good time was had by all. Though, as the evening went on I think Mike sensed exhaustion in my eyes and feigned being tired himself so we headed out. I hadn’t looked at my watch but thought it must be around 12:30AM or so.

Nope – we were home by 11:30PM.

On Sunday, I went to see Match Point…the new Woody Allen movie. I’m not going to give anything away (as I did with Brokeback Mountain a week ago)…but I think it is safe to say that I really enjoyed it. It felt more like an Alfred Hitchcock movie than a Woody Allen film. And I love that despite Woody’s previous movie being entitled “Hollywood Ending”, this movie most definitely did not have a Hollywood ending. The bad guy ends up getting away with his actions and the innocent are left to suffer. Interesting stuff.

1. Comment by Lise on January 9, 2006 11:13 am

OMG, someone else who thinks Closer is a sexy song! My ex & I thought that song captured such lust, deperation, wild animal passion. Most people think I’m nuts when I list that w/ Let’s Get it On as great sexual songs. Thanks Karl.
    PS: Scarlett Johanson & Jonathan Rys-Myers’ lips – good lord! That’s a movie in itself.

2. Comment by Karl on January 9, 2006 11:29 am

OOOH – I forgot about Let’s Get It On…

There are so many 1960’s and 70’s soul ballads that quality (These Arms of Mine, etc…).

And, despite being gay, I would totally do Scarlett Johanson in a heartbeat. She’s got quite a future ahead of her.

3. Comment by Doug on January 9, 2006 11:58 am

Ummmm by telling us the ending of the movie…dont you think you spoiled the ending for those who havent seen it?

4. Comment by Karl on January 9, 2006 11:59 am

No…cuz I didn’t tell you what happened, did it? What was the bad thing he did? Why is he a bad person? How are the victims suffering? Who did what?

5. Comment by Chris on January 9, 2006 12:28 pm

Mmmmmm…. Closer. MMMMmmmmMMMmmmm… Angel. 🙂

6. Comment by karyn on January 9, 2006 1:26 pm

Yeah Karl, good thing you didn’t give anything away by telling us the ending of the movie. *eyeroll* I’m with Doug on this one. Scarlett Johanson too? Jesus! You are unbelievable.

7. Comment by Veselka Slut on January 9, 2006 1:28 pm

“Closer” is such a hot song. Maybe some intrepid DJ could mix it with Donna Summers’ “I Need Love” and I would be one very happy gay boy. You can dance, be happy be counter culture and dark all at once.

8. Comment by JC on January 9, 2006 3:40 pm

My favorite erotic tune? “#1 Crush” by Garbage. Eerily, weirdly, darkly sexy. And plus, Shirley Manson is the HOT.

9. Comment by Dave in Chicago (2) on January 9, 2006 6:38 pm

You gave away ENOUGH of the ending, mister. GRRR. It’s still on my short list of movies to see, but i might have to STOP READING you for a while if you keep doing this. *bitch-slaps*

10. Comment by Doug on January 9, 2006 7:44 pm

Hmmm I really really like Karyn and Dave in Chicago 🙂

11. Comment by matt on January 10, 2006 1:55 am

Wow! I’m impressed — that is late for you!

so, Karl, should I see MatchPoint or is just going to annoy me? the hardcore woody fans do not seem happy with it. …like crimes & mis. without the laughs. one friend told me it was woody’s attempt at fatal attraction only CJ was no glenn close. I think i am sort of giving up on woody. but tell me if I should see it.