Just Say No

I should have paid attention to Nancy Reagan. But now I’m addicted and can’t stop…

…getting magazines, that is.

It’s getting to be ridiculous. Not only do I susbscribe to Entertainment Weekly, Advocate, Out, Instinct, Out Traveler, Genre, Conde’ Naste Traveler, Vitals, Harvard Magazine, Harvard Law Record and Budget Travel, but I also pick up all of the locals ones* (Improper Bostonian, Bay Windows, Inn Newsweekly, Back Bay Courant/Beacon Hill Times). Complicating matters, Matt gave me a bunch of his old ones before going to San Francisco (Q, Men’s Health, Index) and I’m now getting all of Regina’s magazines in the mail (TV Guide, POZ). And whenever I go visit my parents, my Mom saves me her stacks of the Enquirer and Star.

This has resulted in a stack of magazines that I just can’t seem to get through. I read them while watching the news, I read them on the toilet and I read them on the train. But they won’t go away. In fact, they’re multiplying. I just don’t have the heart to toss them or simply breeze through them. They deserve to be read, no?

However, by acknowledging this, I think I’ve achieved Step 1 in a 12-Step program.

Hello. My name is Karl. And I’m a magazine addict.

*I can’t seem to read the Boston Phoenix anymore – I think I’m too old and conservative).

1. Comment by jeff on May 20, 2005 10:47 am

you could open up a magazine library.

2. Comment by Will on May 20, 2005 11:06 am

Karl, I have one word for you: Recycling!

3. Comment by David on May 20, 2005 1:39 pm

Ok, lose the crap that Mom gave you.
    Why do you have a seperate sub to Out Traveler don’t you get it with Out?
    And you forgot Spirit, the new gay mag from Boston.
    I get Genre, Advocate,Instinct,Out,Mens Fitness, Entertainment Weekly, TV Guide……

4. Comment by Karl on May 20, 2005 2:15 pm

OH, I forgot about Spirit! As for my mother’s magazines, I must admit that I left them on Cape Cod the last time I was there. But that just means that the’ll try to give me an even larger stack the next time I visit. It’s never-ending, I tell you!

5. Comment by Doug on May 20, 2005 2:41 pm

I think that magazines/newpapers etc breed when they sit in the recycle pile. My mother gets 2 daily papers and assorted magazines, and I swear when I go to do her recycle bin, you would think he got every major periodical and newspaper in New England…In two weeks time I filled TWO of the big bins…

6. Comment by Dave in Chicago (2) on May 20, 2005 4:32 pm

Toss ’em all and read a book! 😉