I Have No Life

Wow – it’s been 5 days since my last post. The sad thing is that it feels just like yesterday that I updated my blog.

Yet, an even sadder thing is that I still don’t have anything to update. There are no witty tales to tell. I’ve become a completely different person than I’ve been over the past 9 years. I’ve come full circle to the person I used to be before Matt. Allow me to explain.

In my single youth, I was a homebody (to some extent I still am). I lived in the heart of Boston, had two room mates and yet I spent most of my evenings and weekends in my apartment. I either hung out with my room mates or had friends come over. Part of this was social anxiety, part of this was the fact that I’m a homebody by nature. I’ve always needed to have nice home environments because I tend to spend most of my time there. I’d still rather spend the money to live in a fabulous place than to go to clubs and spend that money on drinks and cover charges.

Well, one of my room mates posted a personal ad on my behalf because he was sick of me being home all the time. The title of the ad was “Boring in Back Bay” and described me as a person with no personality, no sense of humor and no social skills…seeking similar. Matt thought the ad was funny and responded.

Over the next few years Matt brought me out of my shell. I started going to movies, I started going to out to dinner, I started going over to friend’s houses (versus having them come to mine), I started going to more plays and musicals and I even started to occasionally go to nighclubs. I started having a life.

Now, 9 years later, I think I’m turning back into my old self. Is it progress? Is it regression? Is it maturity? Is it immaturity? Is it selfishness? Is it selflessness? I just don’t know. I guess the bigger question to ask is: Is it me?

1. Comment by matt on April 12, 2004 3:06 pm

Is it you? Do you wanna go out more? I had a hard time convincing you to meet me for dinner on Saturday night — and you were hesitant to go to the movies with me on Sunday afternoon. I will happily go clubbing — but you must dance with me!

2. Comment by Jason on April 12, 2004 9:57 pm

Maybe we should all kidnap Karl and take him dancing. I think things are cyclical myself, you’re just coming back ’round to a home based existence and this can change again in the future. Also, you have a dog, its hard to be out all the time with dog. Scary to say, its kind of like having child, except you can’t put a child in a kennel (we, of course are too anxious to put Sasha into a kennel).

3. Comment by Iris Stanfield on April 14, 2004 12:19 pm

My observation of you is that you could never be boring or humorless. That is definitely not you. I think you have just come thru some very trying times and if you or at all human you withdraw to regroup and recharge – that is necessary. Now it sounds like you are ready to roll and get back to where you had grown too. I’m glad Matt was part of your growth. He is wonderful isn’t he. Love Iris PS glad you are part of my life and family too. PS PS: Sometime come back to Texas on one of the vacations — You came last at a very sad time in my life and I was not able to do your visit justice.

4. Comment by Iris Stanfield on April 14, 2004 12:21 pm

Oops. I see a few typos and misspellings. Oh well you get the idea! Iris (the Jewish mother type)

5. Comment by David in Chicago on April 15, 2004 11:38 am

Stop allowing other people to define who you are. If you want to sit at home, then sit.

6. Comment by miglena on August 19, 2005 3:32 am

Very nice blog. It is very helpful. http://www.bignews.com

7. Comment by Riverside Superior Court on September 12, 2005 8:17 am

Bankruptcy Court

8. Comment by Surfing Photo on September 15, 2005 2:40 pm

Free Anonymous Surfing

9. Comment by Kid Manners on September 27, 2005 7:28 am

Etiquette Manners

10. Comment by Niagara Falls Hotels on January 27, 2006 5:53 pm

Frankfurt Hotels