Diigo Bookmarks 05/15/2008 (p.m.)

Published on the same date as The new oases (which I bookmarked at the time), I missed this story the first time around (April 10). Saw it now via Wendy Waters’s blog, All About Cities. Like “The new oases,” this article is also about mobile computing, and its effects on our social worlds/ lived lives.

It’s odd this topic should have popped up for me today, as the other article (The new oases) was one I thought of as seeming apposite to a discussion around video commenting, taking place on Fred Wilson’s blog. The conversation there is about Disqus and Seesmic, which have joined forces to enable users to leave video recorded comments (vs. text scribblings) on blogs. Somehow, when I read about this (also on Dave Winer’s blog as well as Wilson’s — I left a comment on the latter’s, albeit straight text, no video), I immediately thought of The new oases and its points regarding isolation. Disclaimer: my “ruminations” have nothing to do with the conversations taking place on either blog or their comments boards. I’m thinking about this from a more abstract angle, although the question, “what’s the point of video comments?” did come up again and again on those blogs, too.

What is the point? More information? More immediacy? More …more? If it’s more more (immediacy, intimacy, contact), then you really do have to wonder. Can the technology can ever produce or recreate “nest warmth,” that sense of communal belonging, or isn’t each instance of technological mediation just another way of giving us yet another perspective view on our own selves? Another perspective, which is a slice but hardly an integration, a whole?

It’s not the case that “communal belonging” or what the Germans call “Nestwaerme” (nest warmth), which is a kind of fusion, is a good thing; nor is it a question of whether getting a perspective (let’s call that slicing or parsing) is a good thing. They’re both good things in their appropriate times and places. It’s more a question of not confusing one for the other, and I got the impression from reading responses that there’s a lot of confusion — and confusing of the two. On Wilson’s blog there’s much discussion of whether or not the Disqus-Seesmic joint venture (video blog comments) will produce better comments/ comments streams/ understanding. I don’t think it will. It will just refract whatever understanding exists or is able to be seen into yet more facets. That’s all. Whether or not those slices and perspectives will be pulled into a new whole will depend on who’s doing the pulling.

• tags: the_economist, nomadism, mobile_technology, mobile_city, technology

• Wouldn’t it be great to have something like this (based on a virus invading the artist’s computer) be digital/ computer-generated, instead of in the same old technique of …?screen-printed banners? C’mon, so it’s a nice pattern — but if it derived from “a virus that invaded [artist Bratsa] Bonifacho’s computer,” why not make it viral in form?

tags: vancouver, bratsa_bonifacho, art, art_projects, public_art

1. Nice to see banners done by real fine artists. Artists here in Victoria seem to avoid banner competitions like the plague, probably because traditionally they’ve been done by amateurs through public voting contests and no-one that does fine art for a living wants to do spec work like that.

Even Vancouver could only scrape together a $1500 honorarium, so I guess the only people that take part are established artists that don’t need the money and amateurs that desperately need the money. I’m not complaining–we should be grateful they’re bold enough to support any fine art project.

I remember seeing Bonifacho’s work at the Fran Willis Gallery many years ago. At the time he was making large Ab/Ex canvasses by dumping huge translucent coloured gobs of thick acrylic paint and squeegeeing it across until it was watercolour-transparent in places. Lately, he seems to be more graphic, immersing himself in the language of hot metal type.

Comment by Robert Randall — May 15, 2008 #