Cheap and Better than Store-Bought

Granola! I make about 3 batches a week, it’s so much cheaper and so good. Why pay $6 for a bag of Bear Naked that is about two servings when for the same amount you can make a batch that serves 6?

Mix up some oatmeal, nuts, brown rice syrup or maple or agave, some oil, cinnamon, and vanilla.

Bake it.

Press it. I put another cookie sheet on top and then my heavy le creuset on top of that and leave it til it’s cool. This is essential for creating the clumps. Otherwise each oat will be separate. Once it’s cool, break it up into clumps and add some dried fruit (I chose cranberries):

I have it as cereal w/soymilk every morning, it’s wonderful.

2 Responses to “Cheap and Better than Store-Bought”

1. Renee
    April 27th, 2009 | 7:49 pm

I’m a baker/cook that needs exact measurements. After I have them THEN I change amts. to my needs. Do you know…6 Cups of Oatmeal, 2 Tbs Maple Syrup, etc and a basic baking time too (if poss.). It sounds nice and easy and I’d like to whip up a batch. Thanks for the idea!

2. April 28th, 2009 | 11:36 am

hmm i don’t really have specifics, i kind of eyeball it–but look around on google, there are tons of granola recipes out there, i looked at a lot and kind of created my own based on all those…