11 June 2005

Ditto

Excellent post summing up exactly the way I feel about Boston’s Gay Pride this weekend.

As the New Yorker cartoon of a couple of years ago put it, “We’re here, we’re queer, we’re over it.”

One Response to “Ditto”

1. Sarah Dylan Breuer Says:

I know what you mean about Pride festivities not being all that thrilling once you’re no longer a wide-eyed nineteen-year-old, but I don’t miss them in Baltimore anyway, for one reason. Our parish has a booth at the festival, and I’m always amazed at the number and energy of the positive responses we get. Where but a Pride festival could you possibly just stand there and say, “hey, if you’d like to go to a church, I know some where you’d be warmly welcomed,” and have people bowl you over with surprise, relief, and joy? I live about 60 miles from my parish (most congregations closer in can’t really take in an openly gay person without it being a huge deal), so I also had out a sign-up sheet for information for a local fellowship my partner and I plan to start so we don’t have to drive 60 miles each way every time we want to pray with other Christians, and some people with even fewer welcoming options near them plan to drive 100 miles each way so they can come to meetings.

I suppose it all boils down to Pride being a place where being gay is pretty yawn-worthy, but coming out as a progressive Christian can still have a real impact. But maybe Massachusetts has so many welcoming congregations (and everyone knows it) that it’s not such a big deal to have a mainline congregation that’s welcoming.

Dylan