Chayes Fellow Sarah Weiner ’15, on working with the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, United Kingdom

“My project at work involved updating the EBRD’s assessment of public procurement laws in its countries of operation in Eastern Europe and Central Asia. The first region-wide assessment was conducted in 2010, and it was interesting to see how an international organization engages in policy dialogues with governments to achieve legal reform. A part of my job involved communicating with government officials to clarify the questions of the assessment and ensure that the Bank’s data is accurate. In just one of my weeks at EBRD, I spoke with people from 20 different countries—a feat I have never come close to accomplishing on a former job!

One of my favorite parts of working at EBRD was being invited to attend various meetings held by the Legal Transition Team and the wider Office of the General Counsel. These meetings provided me with the opportunity to witness interesting debates about EBRD’s internal policies and to see how the Bank deals with the challenges and complexities inherent in operating a multilateral development bank.

Outside of work, I tried to take full advantage of everything London has to offer! I ate delicious food, visited world-class museums, attended great musicals, and took a vacation to Scotland to hike in some its breathtaking scenery. Overall, I had an amazing experience this summer, and I am truly grateful for the support from the Chayes program to make it happen.”

Sarah is one of 23 HLS students working this summer in 18 countries under the auspices of the Chayes International Public Service Fellowship. Please visit our Chayes Fellowship page to learn more!