Chayes Fellow Catherine Cooper ’14, on working with the Public International Law & Policy Group, Washington, DC

“I am working on PILPG’s Syria project, which involves advising clients from the Syrian opposition and civil society on matters related primarily to the possible upcoming peace negotiations, but also other legal issues such as new constitutional frameworks and transitional government institutions. Thus far, I have drafted memos on fascinating topics such as power sharing arrangements in comparative state practice and opportunities to facilitate the return of refugees and IDPs in peace agreements.

I have also enjoyed PILPG’s excellent professional development program, which enables summer associates to take advantage of all the opportunities in DC to network with those working in public international law. The attorneys at PILPG understand how difficult it can be to get a first job in the field of public international law, so they have been very helpful by putting me in touch with contacts in government agencies, law firms, and NGOs. PILPG also encourages the summer associates to attend hearings on the Hill or panels at DC think tanks on issues that are relevant to our clients.

Overall, I have had a really amazing experience at PILPG. I have enjoyed my work so much that I am currently discussing fellowship options with PILPG for after graduation. I plan to strongly encourage other HLS students to apply for PILPG’s summer associate program when I return to Cambridge in the fall.”

Catherine is one of 23 HLS students working this summer in 18 countries under the auspices of the Chayes International Public Service Fellowship. Please visit our Chayes Fellowship page to learn more!