Hungry Giant Lizards Invade Florida

Iguanas Multiplying
in Florida

In neighborhoods from Key Biscayne to Boca Raton, it is the night,
and day, of the fearsome-looking iguana.

Escaped from captivity, or turned loose in the wild by pet owners, the
large, usually green-skinned reptiles that can reach 6 feet in length
are multiplying rapidly.

"They eat the flowers, (go) in the pool and mess it up," complained
Condo manager Ralph Lindberg.

A female, on average, lays 50 papery-skinned eggs at a time, and may
breed twice a year. With no natural predators to keep their numbers in
check, the big reptiles appear to be thriving.

from the
Contra Costa Times

This entry was posted in ESL Links. Bookmark the permalink.

31 Responses to Hungry Giant Lizards Invade Florida

1. Anonymous says:

kwl

2. Anonymous says:

I live in south florida an you are correct cause there are about 50 wild iguanas living in my backyard. They are anywhere from 5 inches to 6 feet in length.

3. Anonymous says:

Yes I saw one here in Florida finally, they are big, I caught a 2 1/2 foot one and it bit me and ran off. I havent seen a bit 5 FT one yet though

4. iris says:

llo me llamo iris y e tenido 3 pero dos s me an muerto que lastima y me quedado con 1 pero ygual mente soy feliz

5. annonymous says:

On the good side though…they taste like chicken.

6. limon says:

well yo tenia dos iguanas y una se me murio pero la otra esta un poco enferma pero ojala que se componga

7. Anonymous says:

Hi my iguana’s name is Julio and we love him so much he is only a baby and we hope that we have him for a long time, we call him he, because we dont know if is a he or she, ok? and God bless all the animals in this world.

8. iguana lovers says:

We have an iguana and we love her. We have just built a 3x5x7ft cage inside our home. She is 2ft long. There is a lot to know about the iguana to care for one properly. THey need uv rays to live healthy and certain foods as well. They need their skin to stay moist to not peel all the time. THey can be very lovable if you raise them that way. They are skiddish to quick movements and do not appreciate small critters in the house to get close to them with out the owner being in site to reassure its safety. THey have to have day light and night light that gives off 75-90 degrees in the day and 65-75 at night, there are two different bulbs to do this, it is important they have the difference to balance them psychologically. Mustard/Collard greens are the best greens, squash, carrots, some fruit: peaches, pears, cherries are good for them. A lot to know, please do your homework before just thinking you want to get one. Email me if you need further info.

9. Mercedes says:

I would love to have aa iguana but my mom wont let me so i just play with the school iguana Julious, I love him he is so cute so PLEASE take really good care of every one you see or meat!!

P.S…. STOP RAINFOREST DESTRUTION!!!!!!!!!!!

10. jegarman says:

Yeah i live in north florida and i just got one from a friend… i’ve done alot of research on them after i got him, he is still just a juvenille and eats the dry/wet food from the shop, but they like many vegies and fruit.. the key to health is changing the water and food daily and never over feed or give them too much to eat within their 24 hours.. i can’t say i ever really thought about owning one but noe that i have him.. i think im in love… its a huge comittement, responcibility… but it is soo well worth it!

11. Kerry says:

I have 3 igunas and there names are Bonnie,Clyde and Sun shine.I had them for 5-6 month’s now and i love them very much.Iguna’s take awhile to grow and im looking forward to having them til they die.Me and my girlfriend are serious when it comes to feeding them,spending time with them after we get off work,and making sure whenever they light blow’s out going out to get another one.It is important to spend time with them,so when they are out there cage or the cage you built,they won’t be so aggresive and try to run away.I have a 9 foot tank that i keep them in and i love watching them bite each other or chasing each other.So if you decide to ever get one just remember to take care of them like you would do yourself and enjoy watching them grow.

12. Anonymous says:

iguanas kick ass they’re better than any pet

13. Anonymous says:

pablo stinks

14. Anonymous says:

come and meet me—-mj

15. micheal jackson says:

hehehe come to my Florida fun house(small kids only)

16. Robin says:

Love my 2 iguanas i have..they sure are fun to watch…I love all my babies here at my zoo…I have 2 dogs,2cats,1 snake,and 1 chamelion Luie..(i just got him) my male iguana(Frankie is 25lbs i have had him for9 years and my female Puffy(pms) is only about 2 lbs(a baby)only had her 3 months she was a orphane,They do make wonderful companions,but they can be a handful at times…If you dont like to clean poo…lol. dont get 1…

17. ANDREA says:

I HAVE A 18 YEAR OLD LARGE GREEN RHINO IGUANA SHE IS ABOUT 17 POUNDS AND 5 FOOT LONG. SHE RUNS MY HOME AND IS PAPER TRAINED.HER NAME IS EDDY. AND SHE LOVES PEOPLE,GREAT WITH KIDS,AND GIVES YOU PLENTY OF HUGS AND KISSES.SHE IS THE BEST PET I EVER HAD.IGUANAS ARE VERY EXPENSIVE. MY BABY HAS TWO HEAT ROCKS, A HEAT LAMP AND A HEAT BLANKET.JUST THE LIGHT BULB IS $80.00 AND I CHANGE IT EVERY 3 MONTHES ALSO KEEPING MY HOME AT 80 DEGREES ALL THE TIME. SHE IS WORTH IT.

18. i4got says:

umm can come one give me a pet iguana they sound cool and also im not gay

19. Jennifer says:

I just bought my first iguana. His name is Emerold because he’s green. He’s about 6 months old, 5-6 inches long and is SOOOOOO loveble. When I first saw him I picked him right up! HE didn’t try to squirm or get loss, he just sat there. He was the prettiest one of the 4. When I took him home and put him in his cage he walked around, licked every thing, then got up in his greenery. My mom started to freak out because she couldn’t see him. He hasn’t learned to eat out of his bowl though so i either hand feed him or just put it on a clean rock. I also have 2 bearded dragons. THEY’RE THE BEST LIZARDS IN THE WORLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

20. Juliann T. Martinez says:

my son got one for his birthday the 4 th of this month i know he doesnt handle him alot so even though im scared my heart goes to spike the iguana and i find myself holding him my son says hes in love with me i use a soft sweet voice as i pet him he falls limp in my hands i even pet around his mouth i think hes so sweet but then he does that eye thing and its like a diffrence he will swing his tail and open his mouth to bite so then im done what should i do im commited to him now i dont wana be scared hes 6 months does his bites hurt?

21. Hailey Angel says:

Please stop cutting down rain forests.
    The iguanas come to our home to have a home.

22. monique says:

what’s good to fed my igunanas? i have two. Do they get tried of eating the same food over and over?

23. JORGE says:

I HAD2 IGUANAS ONE JUST DIED THIS PAST SUNDAY HER NAME WAS MARYJANE SHE WAS LAYING EGGS AND COULDNT HANDLE IT.ITHINK SHE WAS TOO HOT .IWAS SAD BUT I STILL HAVE MY OTHER ONE HE IS SO NICE I LOVE HIM ALOT HIS NAME IS JALAPENO, HES MY BEST PET EVER.HES ABOUT 3FT LONG VERY TAMED.IGUANAS ARE VERY COOL PETS ,JUST LOVE THEM WITH ALL YOUR HEART.I DO.

24. ana karen says:

muchas clacias y asta pronto

25. Any chance of finding one of these in my garden 🙂

Florida No Fault

26. Yolanda says:

I am in South Africa and have a iguana. he’s name is Romeo, and we love him alot. Must say they are very expensive here and hard to find. But how do you keep his nails short?
    Enjoy your iguanas.

27. guy says:

i have some interesting information regarding lizard and gecko conservation on my website, http://www.guycogecko.com, if anyone is interested in a good read. click the “project gecko conservation” link

28. Hi there my name is nathen i have a iguana and an ball pithon and they are my favorite kind of creature ever they are amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!! my phone number is 208 380 2440 if you want to see them!