crazy grimpoteuthis caught my eye

Grimpoteuthis

I’m really into deep sea creatures-they’re super cool, with their crazy, out-of-this-world alien looks and crazy designs. I had been meaning to ask for a while now, but today, I finally found out the name of the above animal. “Grimpoteuthis”.

Wikipedia, the guide to all that is right and correct in the world, told me, with extreme pronoun usage:

“[Grimpoteuthis] are benthic creatures, living at extreme depths: 300-400 meters, and are some of the rarest of the Octopoda species. They can flush the transparent layer of their skin at will, and are pelagic animals, as with all other cirrate octopuses, and unlike many other incirrate octopuses.

They hover above the sea floor, searching for worms, bivalves, pelagic copepods, and other crustaceans. They move by pulsing their arms, shooting water through their funnel, or by waving their ear-like fins. They can use each of these techniques separately or all simultaneously. The males and females are different in their size and sucker patterns. The females lay eggs consistently, with no distinct breeding season.”

All I can say is: I want to eat it.

1. hannah

November 17, 2010 @ 7|15 am

1

that is soooooo totally cute!