Nowruz

Nowruz intrigues me. The blending of Islam with local cultures has been a theme of this course, and Nowruz beautifully demonstrates such a fusion. A local Persian/Iranian Zoroastrian holiday is stamped with Islamic significance and spread beyond its original borders.

Ancient beliefs celebrating the day man was created were overwritten by Islamic beliefs. Perhaps the Prophet blessed the day for celebrating the rejuvenation of life, the day God brought Noah’s ark ashore, the day when the dead will be resurrected, the day when God sent Gabriel to the Prophet—many possible events of religious significance are now tied (with varying degrees of looseness) to this traditional celebration.

Yet the cultural traditions of Haji Firouz, spring cleaning, the Haft-seen table, and spending time with family and friends remain. A vibrant cultural holiday, now fused with the religious practice, still retains its traditions. It reminds me of Christmas. Christmas has roots in a pagan festival, yet now is intimately connected with the Birthday of Jesus and Christian traditions. Nowruz in Persia and Christmas in the US both blended a cultural heritage with religious observance. (Plus gifts, so even those not religiously included have reason to celebrate.)

In my piece, I was intrigued by this fusion, but I wanted to focus on the ritual and cultural practice. While a few photos are attached, this was a live performance piece. I started by scouring my dorm from dusty walls to mopping under the futon.  Next I set up the Haft-seen table. My 7 S’s included a plant for rebirth, sweet pudding for affluence, dates for love, garlic for medicine, an apple for health and beauty, cranberries for the color of sunrise, and vinegar for age and patience. I added a few touches touch as a book of poetry (Byron since I didn’t own Hafiz), a mirror for reflection on the past year, goldfish for new beginnings, coins for prosperity, and a candle for light and happiness.

Haft-seen

Nowruz 006 Nowruz 007

With my table set up, I spent the rest of the 12 days spending time with family and friends. I skyped family who didn’t live in the area. Finally, I hosted a picnic on the 13th day (albeit an indoor picnic watching the rain pour).

Skype

Articles aiding in completing Nowruz: