You are viewing a read-only archive of the Blogs.Harvard network. Learn more.

Monthly Archive for December, 2007

meet boris

Forwarded conversation
Subject: virtual poker strategic thinking university
————————

From: Boris Kizelshteyn
Date: Dec 10, 2007 11:15 AM
To: nesson@law.harvard.edu

Greetings Professor Nesson!

As per my voice mail, I am back from vacation and am eager to get started on the virtual poker strategic thinking university project with you. Please get in touch with me at your earliest conveniance so we can discuss next steps. If you feel it would be useful I am available to meet with you in person early next week.

I am looking forward to hearing from you soon!

Best,

Boris Kizelshteyn
917-885-1233
———-
From: Boris Kizelshteyn
Date: Dec 17, 2007 4:57 PM
To: nesson@gmail.com, nesson@law.harvard.edu

Greetings Professor Nesson!

I am just trying you again regarding the virtual poker strategic thinking university in second life project we discussed in late November. I am certain that you are busy now with the end of the term, but I am quiet eager to meet with you again to discuss the project in greater detail and to schedule a trip up to meet you in the next few weeks.

Please get in touch with me at your earliest conveniance and we can discuss next steps.

All the best and Happy Holidays!
———-
From: Charles Nesson
Date: Dec 27, 2007 10:22 AM
To: Boris Kizelshteyn

ok, i am ready to talk. when would it be convenient for me to call, today or tomorrow.

when appropriate (in my judgment) to an open project and not sensitive (in my judgment) in terms of privacy, i may post email to my blog. all privacy requests respected. ———-
From: Boris Kizelshteyn
Date: Dec 27, 2007 11:27 AM
To: Charles Nesson

Hi Professor Nesson,

I am so pleased to hear from you, I am available to speak on the phone tomorrow morning at 9 or 11am. Do either of those times work for you? I can call you, just let me know which number to use.
———-
From: Charles Nesson
Date: Dec 27, 2007 11:36 AM
To: Boris Kizelshteyn

617 547 9469
9am
———-
From: Boris Kizelshteyn
Date: Dec 27, 2007 11:39 AM
To: Charles Nesson

I am looking forward to speaking with you tomorrow!
———-
From: Charles Nesson
Date: Dec 28, 2007 9:06 AM
To: Boris Kizelshteyn

http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/cyberone/wiki/Evidence_2008
http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/cyberone/wiki/GPSTS_Lecture_and_Discussion_Series
———-
From: Charles Nesson
Date: Dec 29, 2007 8:00 AM
To: Boris Kizelshteyn

i need a new courtroom
the courtroom on berkman island doesn’t work well
everything is far apart
———-
From: Boris Kizelshteyn
Date: Dec 29, 2007 8:05 PM
To: Charles Nesson

Hi Charles,

It would be a pleasure to re-design the courtroom. If you have some favorite courtroom configuration and design send me some pictures and I will let you know how much it will cost to re-create. Otherwise, let me know and I’ll google for pics myself.

I am excited at the prospect of working with you and proving myself as the vendor of choice for virtual worlds development at Berkman.

Looking forward to hearing from you soon,

Boris

when appropriate (in my judgment) to an open project and not sensitive (in my judgment) in terms of privacy, i may post email to my blog. all privacy requests respected.

YEAH!!

Firm might seem a bit of a leap to moxie from here to putting poker on the curriculum. But some academics scope absolute due to a worthy subject of study. Chief among them is Charles Nesson, a professor at Harvard Regulation Impart. Earlier this generation he founded the Global Poker Politic Thinking Society ( GPSTS ), whose awkward place name belies a fine set of goals: to italicize pokers role fix teaching patience, strategics and almighty dollar management, and pressure valuable thinking skills. Poker offers metaphors for a scale of verve skills and could symbolize a sensational educational tool, says Mr Nesson, who plays a regular amusement ditch other code professors, including Alan Dershowitz though he has basically to play cloak Antonin Scalia, a Supreme Lordship judicature proclaimed to obtain a fondness for poker.

By enlisting the comfort of players, statisticians, constitution students and chamber groups conforming since the Poker Players Alliance, whose membership has swollen to 860, 000, Mr Nesson hopes to roll back not one the public ban on online gambling but besides the worst bits of the nonsensical patchwork of state laws. Massachusetts code, for instance, makes irrefutable insoluble for the university to clench flat a charity poker tournament. Are they unrestful that nation will develop into prone to giving greenback to superexcellent causes? asks Andrew Woods, a Harvard student who helps to rush the GPSTS.

thanks

Berkman@10 Report

berkat10.jpg

the-mission.mp3 ten years out

http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/cyberone/wiki/Magna_Carta

http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/cyberone/wiki/Magna_Carta

WTO backs Antigua for $21 million annual in sanctions against USA

tell me this isn’t poker

WTO Ruling
December 21, 2007

the WTO rewarded Antigua $21 million in annual trade sanctions…

The tiny Caribbean nation can exercise the sanctions in intellectual property, such as films and music, for instance by lifting copyright protection, as well as in services, which includes sectors such as banking and telecommunications as well as gambling.

Mark Mendel, the lawyer who has been spearheading this case for the Antiguan government since it began back in 2003 observed “I am pleased that the panel approved our ability to cross-retaliate by suspension of intellectual property rights of United States business interests. That has only been done once before and is, I believe, a very potent weapon.”

When Kenneth Weitzner from Eye On Gambling (www.eog.com) asked about these possible sanctions on a conference call today which included reporters worldwide, Mark Mendel stated that this would be used as a last resort. But, he did say that if Antigua went this route, it would occur sometime in 2008.

ustr says:
The United States is concerned, however, that the Arbitrator agreed with Antigua’s request to suspend WTO concessions not just with respect to services, but also with respect to intellectual property rights (IPR). Any authorization pursuant to the award would be strictly limited to Antigua; every other WTO Member remains obliged to protect U.S. IPR under WTO rules, including enforcement against any IPR-infringing goods. Moreover, even with respect to Antigua, it would establish a harmful precedent for a WTO Member to affirmatively authorize what would otherwise be considered acts of piracy, counterfeiting, or other forms of IPR infringement. Furthermore, to do so would undermine Antigua’s claimed intentions of becoming a leader in legitimate electronic commerce, and would severely discourage foreign investment in the Antiguan economy.

***
what is the value of the judgment antigua has obtained? is the point the money or is it the judgment against the united states, or do we just brush such judgments off as a cost of doing business. where is the substance of the issue the wto calls unfair? why give the race tracks internet wagering but deny them slot machines. guess who gets the slot machines. tell me we’re not playing poker.

who’s move is next

Please Don’t Criminalize Online Poker

nessontestimony121807.mp3

the professor

start at 6:13
follow this script
howard on the button
kaplan in the big blind
table folds to howard
howard raises

kaplan calls
:fill in the story kaplan is telling himself when he calls
::he’s always stealin’

kapalan checks the flop
howard bets

kaplan calls
fill in the story kaplan is telling himself when he calls

kaplan bets the turn
howard calls
::who is playing whom

gabe checks the river
howard bets
gabe folds

:when did gabe lose this hand

Google Talk

face authority calmly
the way you feel when you make a good decision in circumstances of uncertainty

practice playing poker

in the real world of conflict
face authority calmly to calm its fear

weiler-duke-web.mov

character expressed in action

when they were young

this land is my land

THIS LAND IS BERKMAN
words and music by some fine (anonymous) fellows

This land is Berkman, this land is my land
From Catherine Bracy to Amar Ashar
From Charlie Nesson the dean of cyberspace
Berkman was made for you and me

As I was blogging on the (information) superhighway
I saw above me an ‘end to end’ way
I saw below me generativity
Berkman was made for you and me

This land is Berkman, this land is my land
From David Ardia to Ethan Zuckerman
From Colin MacLay to Senator Palfrey
Berkman was made for you and me

I’ve browsed and clicked through some useless EULAs
I’ve posted clips of NFL to YouTube
And all around me are Global Voices
Berkman was made for you and me

This land is Berkman, this land is my land
From Jake Shapiro to David Weinberger,
From Terry Fisher to other absent friends
Berkman was made for you and me

The Chinese censoring, kids downloading,
with Facebook tracking every movement
But we will fight on, all-a-twittering
Berkman was made for you and me

This land is Berkman, this land is my land
From Melanie Dulong de Rosnay to Corinna di Gennaro
From Yochai Benkler our bearded guru