Jordan Baehr (JD ’13), 2011 Chayes Fellow, on his summer work in Hong Kong

“I have spent the bulk of my time conducting research and developing educational materials based on the California Transparency in Supply Chains Act, which requires certain companies to publicly disclose their ‘efforts to combat slavery and human trafficking in their supply chains.’ Because the materials I have produced are for a wide range of audiences (including some of the companies affected by the act, suppliers and vendors who might be American or East Asian, and local Chinese factories) the research required me to look into a wide range of California, US, and international law, and to carefully consider their commonalities, differences, interactions and implementations. I also had to learn about common Chinese factory practices, both through published reports by NGOs, the US Government and the UN and through visits to factories, conversations with our staff and study of the records and reports that they have produced. All in all this has been incredibly fascinating, both in its sheer breadth and in the opportunities it has afforded to connect legal text, theory and practice with the social realities with which they are concerned.”