“We Sinful Women” Creative Response

You look left, you look right, you look straight ahead or behind and you will most likely see women. Women are everywhere in this world and should in theory represent the same level of power as men. In high school I took a semester of Women’s Literature, however, I have never really been exposed to feminity through the eyes of an Islamic woman. After reading the poems in the collection We Sinful Women translated and edited by Rukhsana Ahmad, the general theme that I cam across was the sense of pain and suffering as we move towards equality.

As my creative response, I compiled a collection of photos of women who I find particularly inspiring. One of the main reasons why I chose to row for Harvard was the sense of pride that all women rowers at Harvard take in calling ourselves Radcliffe Crew. We to this day still identify ourselves by Radcliffe as we represent the women of the past and wish to continue to include that in our legacy at Harvard and rowing for Radcliffe. The women in the photos that I decided to include for my creative response are all part of the Radcliffe crew team and are a vital and integral part of the movement towards equality one step at a time on the Harvard Campus. To put this in dialogue with We Sinful Women, pain and suffering for women is universal and and more we spread the word and attempt to make a difference – it can only make a positive impact for the women of future generations.

women copy

Post a Comment

Your email is never published nor shared. Required fields are marked *