Herzog up in this piece

I’ve been writing letters to representatives, editors, etc.

In response to this editorial about the Sinclair Broadcast Group’s plan to force its affilates to preempt prime time programming for an hour-long anti-Kerry attack ad masquerading as a documentary, I did these 150 words or less.

Your editorial “Fairness door swings both ways” is off base. Whether it’s OK for Sinclair Broadcast Group to force its stations to air the “Stolen Honor” special is not a First Amendment issue.

Sinclair uses public airwaves to broadcast. Our airwaves are an extremely valuable property of the American people. Sinclair is allowed to use part of this property of ours for free – unlike, for instance, cell phone companies, who pay us for the portion of the airwaves they use.

This amounts to a taxpayer subsidy of Sinclair. But it’s not corporate welfare,
because we demand payback. Part of our payback is that Sinclair has an obligation to help us hold a fair election. If they broadcast propaganda right before the election, they are ripping off the American people. This “public interest” obligation has been upheld by the Supreme Court, and doesn’t conflict with the First Amendment.

I pretty much bit this off of Reed Hundt and tried to folksy it up a little. I put it up here because it seems pretty good to me, but what I want is to get wicked excellent at letter writing, and I’d welcome any advice.

17 Responses to “Herzog up in this piece”

1. cynthia Says:

what does this have to do with werner herzog?

2. Desultor Says:

You must have missed Klaus Kinsky’s starring role in it! He was really chewing the scenery.

Seriously though, the reference is to Saul Bellow’s novel. To be honest, it’s a silly reference, ’cause the only real common ground is that Moses Herzog and I both write letters. Basically I couldn’t think of a good title, so I put the first thing that came to mind.

3. cynthia Says:

i think herzog writes letters too, so it works across the board.

4. Erin Says:

No no no no no. This is all wrong. Wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong.

Sigh. Where to begin?

First of all, any letter of complaint must include the words “shocked,” “offended,” and “dismayed.” Any one of these can be modified with a nice “deeply,” but otherwise try to conserve those adverbs.

Furthermore, you must demand some kind of action or reparation for the accused misdeed. In this case, you should ask the Santa Cruz Centinal to, in the interest of the First Ammendment, print your disertation on Why Reparations for Slavery are Actually Racist. It helps to include a check for however much a page of advertising space costs. Boy, exercising one’s First Ammendment rights sure are EXPENSIVE!

Furthermore, you should suggest that Sinclair be allowed to show the Kerry-bashing documentary (breaking news mandated weeks in advance) ONLY if it first pumps Janet Jackson’s nipple over its airwaves for 24 hours straight. They can even choose the music if they want; I suggest Lee Greenfield.

Finally, you need to remember the Angry Letter Acronym: TUFS…
    Threaten,
    Use a
    Fake name, and
    Spray with your favorite scent.

Once you tell them you’re going to come down there and tie-dye their dirty hippy intestines, a good whif of Ol’ Spice or even soy sauce proves you’re serious. As for a handle, might I suggest Moses Herzog?

5. snjoseph Says:

Ha, way to ask blogger for writing advice. That’s like asking for chess help from someone who strains to keep up with checkers.

Here’s how I’d fix your letter:

Dear Editor, you are doing a great disservice to the American people by defending Sinclair’s decision to air Stolen Honor. This scandalous documentary suggests that it is in John Kerry’s character to oppose US imperialist wars. Nothing, sir, could be further from the truth!

It is true that John Kerry spoke out against the Vietnam War, but that was in the topsy-turvy seventies, when even complete opportunists had to oppose the war in order to build their political careers. Today, he is a staid, honorable member of the Empire’s elite, who would no more dream of standing up to the military-industrial complex than getting a sub-grand haircut. How dare Sinclair suggest that John Kerry is a man of principle–for shame!

ReverseVoteSwap.org!

6. e-ziggidy Says:

I think Erin pretty much covered your pro forma responsibilities in this area, so I’ll just say this: I warn’t convinced. How do we know anti-Kerry attack ads aren’t in the public interest?

Also: is broadcasting propaganda long before, or right after, the election less of a rip off?

7. The Producer of "Werner Herzog Eats His Shoe" Says:

Um, hell-LOW—

That’s, like, “Kinski” to you stupid East Coasterners.

Sheeze.

8. Tityrus Plex Says:

don’t be a douchebag all your life.

9. Desultor Says:

Aw, did T-Diddy wun out?

I thank thee, Lord, for this thy bounty!

10. Tityrus Plex Says:

Deus nobis haec otium fecit.

11. Desultor Says:

Apt, T-Diddy! But your pagan ways can’t whup scripture – check out this gem straight from Hieronymus:

Et Deus dixit, fiat id quod bonum est!

Dixitque Deus, et habeat Desultor multum.

Dixitque Deus, sed habeat Tittyrus nullum, quia Tittyrus mentula est.

12. Tityrus Plex Says:

Sed Deus meminisset quod Desultor catamitus esse. Deus dixit: Fiat nox! Desultor peccator est! Eheu Tittyrus! Venit germanus tuus fraudulenter at accepit benedictionem tuam! Dominus tuum illum constitui et post haec fili mi ultra quid faciam? Mea culpa! Mea maxima culpa!

13. Desultor Says:

Sed Deus quicquid sentivit. “Eheu,” dixit, “quis me violat?” Circumspexit. “Tittyre,” dixit, “nunc igitur maledictus eris super terram! Desultori autem benedicam benedictionibus caeli desuper benedictionibus abyssi iacentis deorsum benedictionibus uberum et vulvae.”

14. Rufus Says:

would someone mind translating for those of us who cannot speak the above, oh and btw it looks like you’ve gone off subject.

15. Leopoldo Mateo Says:

Man I like your post and it is so informational and I am definetly going to save it. One thing to say the Indepth analysis this article has is trully remarkable.Who goes that extra mile these days? Well Done 🙂 Just another tip you canget a Translator for your Worldwide Audience !!!

16. Tulip Green Says:

Thanks for taking the time to discuss this, I really feel strongly about it and love studying extra on this topic. If doable, as you gain experience, would you mind updating your weblog with further information? It is extremely helpful for me.

17. Ian Green Says:

Thanks for taking the time to discuss this, I feel strongly about it and love learning more on this topic. If attainable, as you gain expertise, would you thoughts updating your weblog with additional info? It is extremely useful for me.