You are viewing a read-only archive of the Blogs.Harvard network. Learn more.


Okay.  So, today was supposed to be “the” day for Shadow! 

As you may have read previously, Shadow does not want to go to the vet.  He actually makes it quite clear that he will not go to the vet.  However, after four attempts and a bit of trickery on my part, I managed to get him in last month for his second shot.

When leaving the vet that time, they suggested that I bring him back on December 4th, between 8:00 and 9:00 a.m. to get his final shot and to be “fixed”.  Yeah.  Right.  Just like that.  Waaahaaahaaaa!  They are funny.

As I was getting prepared to attempt to trick him into letting me get him in the carrier this morning, he once again made it very clear that he would not go to the vet.  Now, I know this sounds rather harsh but since he was not able to eat or drink after midnight, I figured my only weapon in this war on vet visits would be food.  So I sprinkled a few niblets on the kitchen floor  (which he prefers over the bowl anyway) and as he bent to take a bite, I went in for the grab.  Unfortunately, I wasn’t quick enough and he flew (almost literally) down the hallway and under the spare bed.

So, out comes the box of food again and this time, I pour some into his metal bowl and sure as heck, here he comes!  I again go in for the scoop and he again takes off down the hallway and under the spare bed.

Okay, I think.  I’ll get him!  So I proceed to close the doors to all the bedrooms which will leave him only the bathroom to hide for cover.  I figure if I can get him in the bathroom, he’s all mine!  Yeah.  Right.

So, down the hallway he goes again, this time confused for just a brief moment when he discovers the doors closed!  Ah, ha, I think!  I’ll get him now!  Yeah.  Right.  Rather than get himself trapped in the bathroom, that cat did a 180 faster than I could blink and came running back at full speed to get downstairs.  Unfortunately, I was in the way and he barreled into my shin at such a speed that I thought I would be knocked to the ground.

Now, I was concerned for him  because I figured with the pain I was feeling in my leg from this collision, he would have been all but passed out (which would, of course,  have made it easier to get him in the carrier but we wouldn’t want things to be that simple).  So, downstairs I went and in my search, went into the storage room only to have him go running out of that room, once again at break neck speeds and back up the stairs!  I did peek again, and he was lying under the pool table and actually allowed me to get within a few feet and he appeared to be back to his purring self so all should be well in that department.

Needless to say, Shadow didn’t get to the vet today and in his efforts to be certain that he did not, I darn near needed a visit to the medical center myself!

Published in:CurtinCallStories |on December 4th, 2006 |2 Comments »

Both comments and pings are currently closed.

2 Responses to “Ouch!”

  1. stacy Says:

    You have a very patient vet!
    We had a similar fiasco at our house on Saturday morning trying to get Katrina into the carrier for her vet appointment. Both cats were supposed to go, but after tearing apart our bedroom to get to Katrina (and after she tore apart Matt’s wrist), Matt didn’t even want to attempt to capture George. Needless to say, they were late for the appointment, but at least they made it, if not in one piece!

  2. christi Says:

    I just Googled for ground pool and Got your Page.Your Post » Ouch! Curtin Call is really Nice.Pl. keep posting on ground pool