Spanish books for toddlers

I’ve said this many times before, but I believe it bears repeating: there seems to be a lack of childrens’ books written in Spanish. More narrowly, there seem to be few available Spanish books for toddlers beginning to read which were written in Spain. Commonly available books in the US for toddlers are usually translations from the English. The quality varies widely — some are unbearably bad. But all books, even short little fables designed for bedtime reading, encode a lot of social information in them that is not necessarily easy to translate. Which is good; that’s why you want to expose kids to other worlds, other languages, other cultures. But it means that the language that the book was originally written in, the cultural context to be grand about it, matters. So, for example, in the Spanish story El Verano (The Summertime), the entire contents of the text are as follows:

Cuando el Sol es feliz / y el campo es de muchos colores / y los frutos maduran / y las tiendas cierran / cuando la gente viaja / y el trigo es de color oro / y el sol es más rojo / y los niños van a la playa / y los barcos van al mar / cuando la sed es mucha / y el calor es más / Es Verano!

Which, roughly translated, is:

When the Sun is bright / and the fields are of many colors / and the fruit is ripe / and the stores close / when people travel / and the wheat is golden / and the sun is redder / and the children play at the beach / and the boats go down to the sea / when the thirst is great / and the heat is greater / It’s Summertime!

Almost every single time I read this story to my son, and I used to read it to him a lot, he asked me, “Why do the stores close?” This makes sense in Spain (well, sort of), but not in California. That’s what I’m looking for with books written in Spanish; I want that dislocation.

Even for a book like The Big Red Barn (which I’ve criticized in the past for being part of the nearly-dominant pastoral idyll idiom in children’s books) the translation at least yields the nugget that roosters in Spain say “kikiriki” instead of “cockle-doodle-doo.” Both of these ‘facts’ are nearly useless to a kid growing up in suburbia, true, but the point is that dislocation; even the roosters are different.

So, starting when my son was little, I’ve spent a fair amount of time looking around for good toddlers’ books in Spanish. I’m sure that I haven’t done a perfect job of it, but I have tried to find good Spanish books and it’s been a challenge. Now that my daughter is starting to read these books, my task is easier; I just walked over to my son’s room and pulled out all the Spanish books that I know worked for him. Even these, though, are mostly translations (primarily from the English, but also from Japanese, Catalan, and Gallego.)

So, here they are, in case anyone cares. They’re not listed in any particular order.

• El Auto Pequeño (The Little Auto)
    by Lois Lensky, translated by Sandra Streepey

originally published in 1934; we have the 1968 edition inscribed “22 mayo 1970” in, I believe, my mother’s hand; very old fashioned but, obviously, a sentimental favorite

• Buenas noches, Sol; hola, Luna (Good Night, Sun, Hello Moon)
    by Karen Viola, illustrated by Chi Yung
    translated by Silvia Márquez

a nice sweet bedtime story about a rabbit; will not change the world, but fine

• El Gran Granero Rojo (The Big Red Barn)
    by Margaret Wise Brown, illustrated by Felicia Bond
    translated by Aida E. Marcuse

I really like this translation, a lot; I think it’s better than the original

• Buenas Noches, Luna
    by Margaret Wise Brown, illustrated by Clement Hurd
    translated by Teresa Mlawer

unlike the Big Red Barn translation, this one is awful; but kids love the story; a real chestnut

• Mi Libro de Cuentos Preferido (I Love My Little Storybook)
    by Anita Jeram
    translated by Antoni Cósimo

beautifully illustrated book, decent translation but the stories that it refers to are the northern European Aesop’s Fables kind

• Abuelos (Avós)
    by Chema Heras, illustrated by Rosa Osuna
    translated by the author from the original Gallego (!)

wonderful book; easily the best of this group; with lovely illustrations; someone ought to translate it into English; longish for a bedtime story

• Día de lluvia
    Ana María Machado, illustrated by Francesc Rovira
    translated (from Catalan?) by “Atalaire”

short imaginative story about children playing at home on a rainy day; cursive letters; part of a larger series

• Todos Hacemos Caca (Minna Unchi)
    Taro Gomi
    translated by Leopoldo Iribarren

translated from the original Japanese? Or from the English translation?

• La Castañera
    Luz Orihuela, illustrated by Maria Ruis

• La Primavera
    by Josep Ma. Parramón
    illustrated by Asun Balzola
  • El Verano
    by Josep Ma. Parramón
    illustrated by Carme Solé Vendrell
  • El Otoño
    by Josep Ma. Parramón
    illustrated by Ulises Wensell

• El Invierno
    by Josep Ma. Parramón
    illustrated by Carme Solé Vendrell

These last four are a series of the four seasons by Josep Parramón with a different illustrator for each book; each is lovely; they’re brief little vignettes of the seasons. And my kids now know that wine is made from grapes in the autumn and that ‘golondrinas’ return in the springtime.

10 thoughts on “Spanish books for toddlers

1. Even before I read this entry (well, I still haven’t read it, but did scan it briefly) … I wondered if you’d like a delivery of books. We’ve found TWO esxcellent book stores with large secciones infantiles!

K

2. I’m 20 and am just starting to learn spanish.

It may sound stupid, but my best method to learn everyday sentences and the basics is to read baby books! Even toddler books are a little too advanced at the moment! It works well becasue it eases me into a completely new language.

I read your peice and actually really liked “El Verano”. It’s simple, short and easy. It doesn’t give me too much to do as i’m only new. I feel if i kept reading other baby stories, e.g about the city, about school, about playing sports, etc, then i could grasp the basics pretty well.

So my question is do you know any websites that show very short, simple spanish stories aimed at under 2 year olds, preferably with english translations also?

Ben

my email is ben_kitchener3@hotmail.co.uk

3. I can’t thank you enough for posting this list. I have been looking into spanish books for my daughter that just turned one. I couldn’t find anything in the stores other than books full of translations or books originally in english and translated into spanish. I agree that their is a shortage of spanish books. I am going to Miami for Thanksgiving and want to look into finding a good book store that sells spanish children’s books. Wonder what I will find. Will ddefinitely look into your suggestions.

Thanks very much and God bless!

4. I am always looking for great Spanish resources for my website visitors and your list is hits the spot. Most stores that carry Spanish books only carry a few books so it’s always handy to know where to look to find other resources.

5. Thanks for this list! I shop at CaliforniaSpanishBooks whenever I need to purchase spanis books online for my little ones
    All the best
    Daniel

6. This is great. I used to live in Spain and I’m raising my son in Spanish (my wife speaks English with him and I speak Spanish). I’ve had a really hard time finding good books. I can’t wait to buy these and have some good books to read with him in Spanish instead of doing quick translations in my head as we read.
    Thanks!

7. There are more resources out there today!

If we are talking about shorctuts, there is a resource that I would recommend. It is called Language is Music by a lady called Susanna Zaraysky. Here’s the link to her website: http://createyourworldbook.com/Create_Your_World/Language_is_Music.html

If we are talking about tools, I came across a site that contains links to almost all the Spanish language learning resources mentioned up there. It’s an unusual website created by another language enthusiast. Here it is: http://www.BridgeSA.net

If we are talking about a cool program, another great site I know is this. http://spanish.Yabla.com. It is a complete site for learning Spanish, with flashcards and all.

8. This is a good list. I was looking for a few gifts for a friend, and I ended up buying 3 of these titles off of Amazon. Thanks.

9. What’s wrong with ‘Es Verano’ is California that distant? They don’t close stores at Christmas ….none???? wow.. this is new. I think the problem is children aren’t helped in understanding differences,so they dislike anything that’s not part of there culture…