Religious Freedom?

photo 3

I drew this mixed media sketch to portray the idea of imprisonment by religion that I found very prevalent in the novel An Egyptian Childhood. I found it so interesting how, in some cultures and societies, how prevalent religion is in their lives. In many ways, I view religion as guidelines to help guide your life, but in this novel, I saw it as something that controls your life.

The main character of this novel, a little boy, goes to school every day, just to memorize the Qur’an. His only source of pride, comes from when he memorizes verses well. Every household tradition, every job worth feeling proud about, every discussion, seems to be centered around Islam.

Living in a country that allows so much personal freedom for my whole life, I couldn’t help but see this religious based lifestyle as oppressing. So, I created this piece to show my take on this novel, and display how someone like me might feel in this culture.

The arabic words denote phrases such as, “Have Faith,” which I used to show what people under this condition would most likely feel or be told to feel.

In all, reading this book and working on this drawing made me realize how much I appreciate my own freedoms and the decisions and options that I am able to have for myself.