Monday, July 6th, 2009...3:43 pm

Why I’m Catholic

Jump to Comments

I’ve struggled mightily to articulate, to myself and others, why I insist on being Catholic.  It’s very hard to reconcile the peace I feel in the church with my deep disappointment in the leadership.  This essay, by Michelle Madigan, reveals far better than I can just about what I feel and why I choose to stay a part of the church.  In short:

It is through practice that I have come to believe that if there is indeed a God presiding over the End of Days, the particulars, the language and myth, various sects employ as means for understanding and revering God will wash away moot in the flood of some unified, unifying light. Practicing provides pockets of peace, soothes me when I am terrified, enhances my appreciation of the created world, helps me to shape who I am into the woman I wish to become. When I’m lucky, practice ushers me toward glints of transcendence.

• I never read Madigan’s essay but it’s a real eye opener. I found your blog by accident but am quite thrilled to have found it. Very good stuff, I enjoy your point of view and writing style — keep it up 🙂