Obsessive Groceries

In true Swans style, I messed up. Turns out I accidentally signed up for produce delivery every other week. I was so upset when I come home Wednesday night to an empty box. I emailed Jeff, of Boston Organics, and passive-aggressively asked him if I was supposed to get a delivery today. He was very nice, gently told me I had signed up for bi-monthly delivery and changed my profile to weekly.

Raz suggested that I go to the Bread and Circus, sorry, Whole Foods, and buy all the items I would have received this week, and post pictures of the food and the receipt. Luckily Jeff posts the contents of the boxes on the website. So I biked over to the River Street Whole Foods with my shopping list.  

They didn’t have organic garlic, so I bought conventional. The strawberries were on sale – I saved a whole dollar! And I bought myself a treat: a box of always-disappearing melba crackers and a piece of rindy sheep’s milk cheese. That’s pretty restrained. I usually leave the Whole Foods with a bag of luxury items.

I left the receipt on the kitchen table overnight.

Turns out I have an editor who is monitoring the journalistic integrity of the blog.

Apparently he didn’t trust me to practice full disclosure. I should have bribed him with a cake and pudding parfait. Well, including the conventional garlic ($0.45), my produce total was $24.13. So, I’m paying $0.87 for someone to select my produce and deliver it to my door. A small price for laziness.

I spotted this kitty sitting in the open window on the fourth floor of the building across the street. How many black kitties do we know that would be content to sit in an open window without exercising its flight instinct?

A black kitty in an unlit window four floors up does not make a successful picture.

1. raz

April 23, 2004 @ 2:21 pm

1

i don’t see anything on that list for $3.99, which is what it seems like i pay for every item i ever buy at the clown.

i’m training our black marmot to be an outside kitty, without smells knowing of course. i think he could put up a good fight and roam with the rest of those street cats late at night. true test will come when smells leaves for euro, i’ll update you then.

2. Swans

April 23, 2004 @ 2:31 pm

2

Hey, that broccoli set me back $4.36. Simon is scrappy. He can survive outdoors. Heck, you probably won’t even have to feed him. Is Smells leaving a cat food stipend?

3. Smells

April 26, 2004 @ 12:51 pm

3

Simon is a killer. He found a dehydrated dead mouse in the 38 Amory Basement yesterday when i accidently left the door open. I think he brought it up as a gift. At first I thought it was a cruel raz joke since the mouse looked suspiciously like the fake leather toy ones. Then I realized it was because it was mouse jerky.

The cat is only stayingif I can be assured he will receive proper guidance.

4. Swans

April 26, 2004 @ 5:52 pm

4

Guidance like teaching him how to bite people?

5. Smells

April 26, 2004 @ 5:57 pm

5

Just mean nasty people who deserve it. Why, did he bite you?