Tired of Jumping the Turnstile?

Don’t worry, the Ikea post is coming. Part one will be up after lunch.

In the mean time, here’s a story about my morning commute:

I wait for the train at the very end of the Central Square outbound platform, by the Pearl Street entrance. This morning, there was a young dude, wearing a hooded sweatshirt under his black coat, hanging out inside the gate, between the entrance and the platform. I figured he was either waiting for someone who gets off at Central, or was the kind of guy who likes to wait until the train arrives before sliding his pass or dropping his token to release the revolving gate and enter the station.

The train comes and I hear a loud crash behind me. The dude has flung himself up onto the top of the revolving gate, wedging his body on this small shelf of metal between the gate and the entrance arch – maybe an opening of a fooot or so. He shimmies his body around and manages to drop to the platform. Unshaken, he strolls to the second car and boards the train.

I stared at him in fascination and shock. Awed by his display of physical dexterity and appalled because I like to follow the rules and if you want to ride the train you have to pay $1.25.

Has anyone seen anything like this before?