In week three of discussion, we learned about the rules and guidelines for Quran recitation. The recitation of the Quran differs from region to region worldwide, but collectively scholars have formulated their own opinions about the proper etiquette and technique during recitation (as seen in numerous international Quran competitions). Specifically, we discussed the importance of tajweed and tartil. Tajweed is the science of the rules of recitation of the Quran.  Reciting with tajweed means that one is applying the rules of tajweed including proper pronunciation of letters, pausing correctly at certain points, as well as producing the proper motions of the tongue in producing the correct sound. Tartil is the proper style of recitation such as reciting with slow, measured and rhythmic tones. It originates from the method of recitation preferred by the Prophet, in the manner that the Angel Gabriel revealed it Muhammad. In section that week, we focused on Al-Ghazali’s External Rules of Quran Recitation which encompasses everything from the humbled state of the reciter to the respect and veneration that each verse or ayah should receive in recitation. I have recited the Quran numerous times, but have seldom followed all the guidelines as outlined by Al-Ghazali in the reading. In order to properly pay my respects to this ancient tradition and scripture, my project this week was to recite the first surah of the Holy Quran, Al-Fatiha, in accordance with the aforementioned rules of tajweed and tartil as well as putting myself, the reciter, in a purified, humbled state. Some of these guidelines that I heeded to include making ablution, sitting facing the Ka’ba (towards Mecca), reciting in a slow manner while pronouncing every letter and elongating certain phrases, as well as controlling the tone of my voice to match the distinct rhythm that we heard from other reciters in class. My recitation, while nowhere near perfect, attempts to demonstrate my faith as a Muslim. I have included the Arabic text so that those familiar with the language of the Quran can follow.

al fatiha.